Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Traditions That Last Forever


Christmas Traditions that Last Forever
By Tracy "Bobo" Banks

 
My family has Christmas traditions that we include during every holiday season. Many of these traditions include decorating and cooking wonderful recipes that have been passed down for generations.

 
The first family Christmas decorating tradition that I can ever remember is a clear glass golden ornament that belongs to my mother. She got this ornament when she was 4 years old and it has hung on her Christmas tree for the past 69 years.

 
Ever year since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I can remember my sisters and I carefully unwrapping mom’s golden ornament and placing it delicately on the Christmas tree. It always brought about such a special anticipation for us girls; just knowing that mom had kept it all those years.

 
Another decorating tradition is one that mom for some reason gladly passed on to me when I grew up and moved out on my own. I’m not quite sure why this family Christmas heirloom decoration was one that mom felt she could part with. It’s a beautiful Christmas tree that stands 12” tall and 6” wide.

 
It’s one of those “must be out” Christmas decorations that I carefully place in a special location every year. After seeing it, I’m sure you’ll understand why mom so graciously passed it on to me.

 
Okay, I admit it; it wasn’t purchased from Dillards or Macy’s Department store. I can’t even tell you that it came from K’Mart or Wal-Mart. The truth is I made it over 40 years ago, when I was in the 5th grade. 

 
It’s a piece of rolled up poster board in the shape of a tree and it’s covered in rolled up pieces of brown paper towels that I painted with green tempra paint. (Yes, I’m fully aware of the fact that those brown paper towels and tempra paint kind of hints at my age.)

 
I also used foil-wrapping paper that was cut into different shapes for shiny ornaments. Merry Christmas is spelled out along the bottom of the tree with sparkling glitter. For a 5th grader, that tree was definitely a work of art.

 
That hand-made gift given to mom when I was eleven years old was one of those rare priceless gifts that she felt should be shared with one of her children. The actual truth is mom insisted that I take the tree or else…

 
I guess every family has traditions that bring smiles, laughter and sometimes-even tears.

 
When the holidays are in full swing, it's so easy to get caught up in the material part of Christmas. At times, I get overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of the season. When that happens, I have to stop, take a deep breath and remind myself of the true meaning of Christmas and also of the traditions that are most important to me.

 
The greatest Christmas tradition that I have ever been given was passed down to me from my Grandma and Grandpa Banks. I’ve found over the years that not many families share this gift that my Grandparents so wisely gave.

 
When I was a little girl, my family, which included aunts, uncles and lots of cousins gathered in Grandma and Grandpa's living room. All of us kids were scattered in the floor under our parent’s feet with lots of presents scattered under the Christmas tree. Needless to say, us kids couldn't wait to get our hands on those pretty wrapped packages. We learned quickly, however, that opening presents was not top priority in Grandma’s Christmas plans.

 
My Grandma Lois (yes, just like Timothy’s grandmother in the Bible) was the greatest woman of faith I have ever known. Grandma instilled that faith in her children and grandchildren everyday of her life and Christmas time was no exception.

 
Grandma wouldn’t allow us to open any present without first taking time for Jesus, the true meaning of Christmas. Grandpa would take out his big black Bible and read from Luke the 2nd chapter. All of us kids listened intently as Grandpa told the Christmas story about Baby Jesus being born in a manager in Bethlehem.

After reading God’s word, we would pray. Sometimes, it was just a short prayer. Other times, however, it was a long prayer... and for a kid waiting to open up presents, it seemed like eternity.

 
We finally got to open presents, but not until Grandma felt like we had truly praised, worshiped and thanked God for the wonderful gift of His Son.

 
As our family grew, we had to move our Christmas gathering to a community center. The number of presents under the Christmas tree grew too along with Grandma’s family tradition.

 
Many times, it was still Grandpa reading from the 2nd chapter of Luke, but other times, we had a real church service. Coming from a family with several ministers and one Missionary often meant our family gatherings would include a family church service. Singing, preaching, sharing a testimony, praying for the needs of our family and praising God became a regular part of every Christmas.

 
We learned at a very early age that Christmas time with our family would never be about presents under a Christmas tree, but about the PRESENCE OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST.

 
Grandma went home to be with the Lord in 1998 and Grandpa, 95, went home to be with the Lord this year. The legacy they gave to our family is a truly a rare and priceless gift.

 
I can't begin to tell you what an impact that Christmas tradition has meant to me. Grandma’s Christmas tradition was instilled deep inside of our hearts and it continues every Christmas season. We all know that inviting the presence of our Lord and Savior to our Christmas celebration will be the first priority before any present under the tree is ever opened. 


The gift that my Grandparent’s gave me, I now share with you. I hope they become a part of your Christmas traditions.

 
Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle. 2 Thessalonians 2:15 NKJV

Friend, the presence of our Lord and Savior is the greatest present of all that you can give to your family.

May God Bless You and Yours during this blessed Christmas Season!

2 comments:

  1. Very good....brought tears to my eyes!....and also joy that knowing we will all be together in heaven someday ..............................and that the gold christmas ornament will be mine someday,bahaha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Tracy and to think that I have seen that Christmas Tree in person...it's still lovely...

    ReplyDelete